Most general understanding of the chakras is based on the Hindu Chakra System (there are other systems based on different traditions and cultures). In the Hindu system there are many chakras but seven main ones – crown, third eye/brow, throat, heart, solar plexus, sacral and root. Chakras are conduits of energy existing within the physical body but extending out to the auric field. In essence they channel energy to and from the auric field. In doing this subtle energy is transmitted to the body for the welfare of not only the physical but also the emotional and psychodynamic. Therefore, it is important to keep the chakras open in order to maintain physical, emotional and mental well-being. When the chakras are closed or blocked then the person suffers dis-ease in some way. The reason for this is because the chakras are connected to various glands and organs in the body, as well as the nervous system, via the nadis (bundles of subtle fibres connecting each chakra to a specific part of the body on a cellular level).
The root chakra is located on the physical body at the base of the spine between the anus and the genitals. Its colour is perceived as red. This chakra is our basis for physical life, rather like the first level of Maslow’s hierarchy of human needs. Connected to the adrenal glands it governs the spine, kidney and bones. The root chakra is fundamental for the flow of energy that helps us ground into the material world (matter).
The sacral chakra is located in the physical body at the lower abdomen just below the navel. Its colour is perceived as orange and it initiates the growth of personality. Connected to the reproductive glands (gonads in men and ovaries in women) it governs the sexual organs, bladder, prostate, womb and the sacral nervous system.
The solar plexus chakra is located in the physical body just below the base of the sternum, and is perceived as yellow. It is connected to the central nerve plexus, the pancreas and digestive organs. It may also have an influence on the immune system.
The heart chakra is located in the physical body at the centre of the chest and at the heart, with a perceived green colour. It is connected to the thymus and governs the heart, blood, circulatory and respiratory systems. Psychologically this chakra governs the ability to love, have compassion and relationships.
The throat chakra is, as its name suggests, located at the throat and is a clear blue colour. It is the chakra of communication and speech and is connected to the thyroid and parathyroid, governing lungs, alimentary canal and vocal chords. Also mouth, nose and ears.
The third eye or brow chakra is located on the physical body on the forehead just between and above the physical eyes. It is perceived as being indigo or a deep purple in colour. It is connected to the pituitary gland and the medulla complex and governs the eyes. Psychologically this chakra is linked with enlightenment, thoughts, concentration, meditation and the superconscious.
The crown chakra is located physically at the very top of the head; the fontanel. It is usually perceived as violet but can also be white, silver or gold. This chakra is connected with the pineal gland and governs the upper brain and cerebral cortex. This is known as the ‘highest’ chakra and has to do with transcendence and links with the outer, celestial fields of energy.
The chakras do not operate independently but are linked via the central nervous system. So if there is a blockage in one particular chakra this will affect others as well as corresponding organs. Moreover, each chakra (except the crown and the root) has a ‘front’ and ‘back’ linking them to three different groupings – the mental, the feeling and the will. Basically the mental chakras are the crown and third eye (front and back). The will chakras are the throat, solar plexus and sacral. The feeling chakras are the throat, heart, solar plexus and root. These all link up and connect with each other via the nadis so the individual is a complete holistic entity.
Energetic Clearing Technique
I use a couple of clearing techniques for my chakras depending on how much time I have and what kind of energy I have at that moment. The one that follows is a lovely one to use because it doesn’t entail you using anything more than visualisation and your intent. It can be done anywhere, but as it suggests, performing it in water is a wonderful place to do it. I can fully attest to this! After doing it I visualise all the dross and negativity draining down the plug hole. If you haven’t got a bath you can still do it in the shower.
Practice clearing your chakras in the bathtub or shower at least once each week. By being in water, you will be able to rinse your hand after each chakra releases. You will notice a lightening of your vibration and an overall easier sense of well-being. If you are working with someone else, rinse your hand into a bowl of water after each chakra clears. Water is fluid and the energy will just be released easily into the water without any effect on you or the person you may be working with.
• Place your open hand, palm side down, on your forehead. Men will use their right hand and women will use their left hand. Spread your fingers wide open to receive the energy easily. If you are working with someone else, place your open hand about two inches above each of the chakras, being cautious not to actually touch their body.
• Now tell yourself to release into your hand every single thought, feeling, and emotion that you have never been able to show or express. Releasing this energy may feel like thousands of tiny ‘hits’ on the palm of your hand. Leave your hand over your forehead until you are certain there is nothing more to be released.
• Next, move your hand above your throat. Release into your hand all the times that you have been killed in the past for speaking your truth, all the times that others have criticized you for sharing your words, all the times that you wanted to scream, and all the times when you did scream and no one heard you. Also release all the words you regret speaking and all the words spoken to you that you wish you had not heard.
• Just release all that energy into your hand, from your throat, from the back of your neck and from your shoulders.
• Next move your hand to your heart and hold it there for a moment. You will feel the warmth of your own love for yourself. This is the truth of your being. Allow yourself to be with that feeling for as long as you like.
• Move to hand to your third chakra – the area just below the breast bone and above your waist. Some call this the upper abdomen or solar plexus area. This chakra addresses all the issues that humans have with each other over power and control. Place your hand on your solar plexus and say to yourself over and over: I am in control of my body.
• Release into your hand all the people who have ever wanted to control you or wanted you to be different or act differently than who you really are. Release out of your solar plexus any distortions you have over power and control. Release all of the ways you may still be corded with others through emotional ties, traumas or through relationship.
• Next move your hand to your second chakra, just below the navel or belly button. Some philosophies call this the Seat of Consciousness, or the Hara point. This chakra contains our male and female duality which is the last duality of the physical self. Tell yourself that you are exactly who you are, not what society, or your mother or father or religion or the media or men or women have ever told you to be. Just Be who you are. Say over and over: I am a (man/woman), and I have the power of the (masculine /feminine).
• With that power, find the balance between your masculine and feminine energy.All that means is that in any of your life experiences or circumstances, you can be anything you choose to be in that moment – masculine if you need to be, or feminine if you need to be.
• Now place your hand at your root or base chakra which is in the groin area, at the “V” of your legs. Again, if you are working with someone else, be cautious not to touch them, but place your hand about three or four inches above the chakra..
• Feel yourself pushing out into your hand all the old thoughts, feelings, and emotions ever projected into you, onto you or through you. Release any thoughts, feelings and emotions you may have projected onto anyone else. Just push all that energy right out into your hand. Push out any distortions or any types of energetics you may have been holding onto. Continue the release until you can no longer feel anything coming out from between your legs. You will know when this is complete.
• Then, look up with your spiritual eyes and see the beautiful light shining down on your crown chakra. That Light is your spiritual angelic part – your Higher Self. Feel that Light part of you coming down through your crown and into your body. Bring that Light of your Higher Self totally into your being. Bring it down to your toes and feel it illuminating throughout your entire body.
Source for Clearing Technique ~ Heart & Soul Healing by Ken Page